With the dedicated development team model, you hire remote employees to bring your project to life. While it may be a new way of doing things, once you’re on board with the benefits you’ll realize that it’s well worth taking advantage of.
Once a contract is signed, remote workers become part of the company’s team that is working on the project. However, since they are contractors, you skip all the legwork and costs associated with hiring full-time employees.
Furthermore, when the project comes to an end, their participation also concludes. This allows you to scale up and scale down based on the specific needs of your project and company as a whole.
There is more than one type of remote employee, so it’s important to consider all your options.
Generally speaking, you’ll choose between freelancers and a dedicated development team.
With freelancers, you hire multiple people to work as individuals on specific parts of the project. But with a dedicated development team, you bring multiple individuals into the project to work as a unit.
Dedicated development team vendors can assist with the search and hiring process. They study your wants, needs, and requirements and look for professionals who fit the bill. And since they already have a large contact base, it’s easier for them to propose a team that’s ready to hit the ground running.
As a client of a dedicated development team vendor, you have full control over your team. With this control, you can rest assured that you’ll get exactly what you want from the process.
When It Makes Sense
Generally speaking, the dedicated development team model is best suited for long-term projects that require outside assistance of experienced professionals. This isn’t to say that you can’t use the model for short-term projects, but it may not be worth the time it takes to get everything set up.
Here are some situations in which the dedicated development team model works best:
- You’re located in a region with high development rates: For example, if you want to hire a local mobile app developer, it could set you back $100 per hour. However, with the dedicated development team model, you can hire someone with the same skills from another part of the world, all at a fraction of the cost.
- You can’t find who you’re looking for: Even with a large local talent base to pull from, you may not be able to find the person with the necessary skills, experience, and knowledge. But when you open your search to the rest of the world, it becomes easier to find the perfect team.
- You need to scale fast: Sometimes, you need to ramp up production, so it’s critical to quickly bring new team members into the company. It’s much easier to do this when using the dedicated development team model.
Roles in this Model
There are many roles in a dedicated development team model. In addition to developers, other team members typically include:
- Team lead: This is the person who manages all aspects of the tech team, such as giving out responsibilities and ensuring that everyone is on track.
- Quality assurance lead: A key member of the team, they’re responsible for testing processes and maintaining quality.
- Project manager: This person manages the project workflow, while also providing communication between programmers and other members of the team. PMs are often responsible for analyzing budgets, too.
- Lead designer: A designer manages all aspects of the design process, including the supervision of other designers.
- Scrum master: A common role in Agile projects, this person often replaces a project manager. From assigning tasks to supervising the development process, they wear many hats.
If you have a great idea and need to bring the project to life, it’s a good option to consider a dedicated development team model. This allows you to focus on the task at hand, without any concerns about renting more space, paying full-time employees, and deciding how to keep them on board at the completion of the project.
To make the most of this model, choose the right team and have a plan in place for guiding them to success. By taking the right steps upfront, you’ll be happy with the end result of the project.
Vitalii Makhov, CEO @ DOIT Software | 04/14/2020
Imagine this: you have an amazing idea for a new software application. It could be a small, specialized tool for busi...
Vitalii Makhov, CEO @ DOIT Software | 03/03/2020
Choosing the right app development team is crucial for your app success as well as your ...
Vitalii Makhov, CEO @ DOIT Software | 04/08/2020